Thursday, May 22, 2008

Samuel Fuller's "The Naked Kiss" (1964)


On the surface, Samuel Fuller's "The Naked Kiss" looks and feels merely like an over the top b-movie drama. At heart though, it's a pulpy, edgy, noir-inspired film that wonderfully critiques and satirizes the concept of perfect small town and the exploitation of women. At first, I wasn't sure how I really felt about this film. I hadn't seen anything like this before so it was a little difficult to get by the spotty acting. It's not to say that I can't stand bad acting, I'm a huge fan of Troma films. Just in this environment, it comes off different.

When I really thought about what Fuller was trying to say I appreciated this film a lot more. Fuller sets the film up brilliantly. I personally loved how our main character goes from being a bald prostitute to being a sort of saint at a handicap rehabilitation center for children. But as we learn later, everyone, not just her, has secrets they are hiding. The second half of this film is far more spectacular than the first half as the true dramas are finally exposed. All in all, this is a pretty remarkable film and one well worth checking out.

4 OUT OF 5 STARS

No comments: