Tuesday, May 5, 2009

DVD Picks of the Week: May 5th, 2009

Making up for last weeks tardiness on the DVD picks thanks for an overload of pollen, I've decided to write up my entry tonight! Or this is my way of abstaining from watching another film tonight since my mind was just stimulated by 2001: A Space Odyssey, which is enough to make you want to take a quick break from films. Anyways, interesting weeks, let's see what we got.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
[Criterion 2-Disc||Blu-ray][Single Disc]


The intriguing release of David Fincher's latest film (an Oscar-nominated one at that) from the Criterion Collection was discussed by me back when the news broke in March. It's not all that rare for a recent film to get released by Criterion (see: The Life Aquatic) and Fincher does have a relationship with the company (Se7en was a laserdisc release for Criterion back in the day), but it still was a bit surprising. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was a solid film and at the very least worth watching once. This isn't simply a Forrest Gump ripoff as many would lead you to believe. Calling it one is a scapegoat criticism. I personally didn't think Brad Pitt was worthy of a nomination for best actor at the Oscars, but the film was still astonishing. It's visually stimulating and extremely entertaining. While it isn't perfect or close to being Fincher's best film, it's still a good one. Whether you buy, rent or steal, check this one out at some point. I'll hold to the opinion that it was one of the highlights of 2008, rather than a lowlight.

TCM Greatest Films Collection
[John Wayne Westerns][Western Adventures][War: Battlefront Asia][World War II: Battlefront Europe][Broadway Musicals][American Musicals]


Alright, bear with me here folks, there is a lot of information to consume here in very little time. Turner Classic Movies expands their line of affordable 4-pack releases of classic films this week with six new offerings. There are some good films to be had here and at a decent price point too. If you aren't concerned with buying the absolute best versions (in terms of special features) and want to introduce yourself to some of these films, these aren't bad deals. The John Wayne Westerns pack for example, houses four titles that range from good to excellent. The Searchers is perhaps the best American made film in the genre. The other western pack, which includes The Wild Bunch, is also a formidable collection. The Dirty Dozen highlights the World War II pack while Singin' in the Rain can be had in the American musicals collection. To be blunt, these are all solid collections and should you find yourself wanting to introduce yourself to any of these films or genres, this cheap method might be the way to do it.

Grease [Blu-ray]/Saturday Night Fever [Blu-ray]


I really won't inject my opinion into this write-up too much, as I find Grease to be a rather annoying film. But I can appreciate the love many have for John Travolta dancing in tight clothes. I personally don't share that same passion, but hey, to each their own. Anyways, these two music themed films hit the Blu-ray format for the first time, so I felt it was relevant enough.

Twilight [Blu-ray]


Ugh, Kristen Stewart is so gosh darn attractive.

Dog Soldiers [Blu-ray]


Amazon seems to be practically giving away this Blu-ray title at the price of $12.99. I won't lie, I have yet to see this film, but I have only heard good things. It's sitting on my DVD shelf too. For shame.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off [Blu-ray]


I'm not sure how necessary Blu-ray is for a film like this, but there are some out there that have that OCD need to have everything in the new format. The verdict is still out on whether Blu-ray will stick around for a good while, so I would hold off on converting the entire collection to the fancy smancy high definition for a little while longer. Great film though, anyone, anyone?

Okay, this week is weak. Not much depth to the titles available. There are a few other notable titles that I'll get to now with the quick listings.

What else comes out this week:
Boston Legal: Season Five, Enchanted April, Love Takes Wing, Last Chance Harvey [DVD][Blu-ray], Lipstick Jungle: Season Two, Dexter: Season Two [Blu-ray], Incendiary [DVD][Blu-ray], Wendy and Lucy, The Charles Dickens Masterworks Collection.

What to stay away from: Personally, I would stay away from Grease or Saturday Night Fever, but I'm not cruel enough to put films people love into this slot. Instead I will use this moment to slam the fuck out of exploitative reality TV. Jon and Kate Plus Ei8ght: Season Four is my culprit this week. Seriously, what genius in that family had the idea that the money received for doing a show was worth the insane lifestyle these eight children are going to grow up in? Whatever pays the bills, I guess. People today...

And speaking of people today. If these stupid saps upset with their shitty Britney Spears DVD had only read my blog post from April 21 they wouldn't be so saddened with the terrible product they received because they would have never bought it in the first place. That or they would have called me names and bought it regardless. I call them like I see them folks.

This was a rather boring week. They can't all be winners though. Next week might be one of those though! The badass revenge film Taken starring Liam Neeson hits shelves along with the original badass in Blu-ray. That's right folks, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly will be available on Blu-ray next week. One can only wonder what type of transfer the film receives on the new format. Look out for Underworld: Rise of the Lycans as well, the not as bad as you would think prequel to the Underworld series. Until then, keep watching films, keep buying DVDs, support the artists and as always, all your feedback is appreciated!


1 comment:

Caroline Dearborn said...

Wow this was a long post! Very impressive. Although, I saw the Benjamin Button movie and did not find it very moving at all. In fact, my friend chose the movie. It is not something that I would have picked. I htink that it dragged on too long and the ending was very predictable. Although, the scene where Benjamin descibes the car accident was probably my favorite part, because it was interesting.