Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wrap Up of Films Watched in February of 2009

That time of the month. In 2009, that phrase to me means giving an overview of all the films I've watched earlier that month. January had me logging 32 films, good for more than one a day. With school starting and free time being taken away, how does February hold up? Keep reading to find out.

Once again, a * denotes first time viewing. Film titles link to IMDB pages. A clickable score will refer you to a past review of the film.

January
February
33. 2/1 – Slumdog Millionaire10/10
34. 2/3 – Salaam Bombay!* – 8.5/10
35. 2/4 – Burn After Reading9.5/10
36. 2/5 – Repo! The Genetic Opera9/10
37. 2/6 – Legend* – 6.5/10
38. 2/8 – The Rocky Horror Picture Show* – 9/10
39. 2/8 – Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters* - 9.5/10
40. 2/9 – Frozen River* - 8.5/10
41. 2/12 – Shock Treatment* - 7.5/10
42. 2/13 – District B13* - 9/10
43. 2/15 – The Taking of Pelham One Two Three* - 9/10
44. 2/15 – Adaptation* - 9.5/10
45. 2/16 – Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind* - 9.5/10
46. 2/16 – Cecil B. Demented – 8/10
47. 2/17 – Cinema Paradiso* – 10/10
48. 2/17 – A Touch of Greatness* - 8/10
49. 2/18 – Slap Shot* - 8.5/10
50. 2/19 – The Rocky Horror Picture Show – 9/10
51. 2/20 – Friday the 13th (2009)* - 5/10
52. 2/20 – Role Models* - 8/10
53. 2/21 – Wet Hot American Summer* - 6.5/10
54. 2/21 – Wild at Heart* - 9/10
55. 2/22 – Waiting* - 7/10
56. 2/23 – Let The Right One In* - 9.5/10
57. 2/24 – The Silence of the Lambs – 9.5/10

I count 25. Not bad considering school started, time faded and I spent a good four days in San Diego (but who's complaining!?). February seemed to be a month of catching up on films I waited far too long to see. Let The Right One In, Slap Shot, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Cinema Paradiso are just a few that help complete that theme.

Here are my awards for February 2009. I will be using the same format but if I feel like an award is unnecessary for the particular month I won't issue it. Most Disappointing Film and Most Overrated Film will be left out as I can't rightly place a film next to that tag. Enjoy.

Best Film (New Viewing): Cinema Paradiso
It's gotta be Cinema Paradiso. I've owned this film for quite some time but never popped it in my DVD player until this month. What a mistake that was. I chose to go with the original theatrical cut that is roughly 50 minutes shorter than the director's cut for my first viewing. I think it was a good choice. This tender, beautiful and emotional film has so many relationships that can be touched on even further and deeper than they already were. I look forward to watching the longer cut down the road.
Runners-up: Let The Right One In, Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters, Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Best Film (Repeated Viewing): Slumdog Millionaire
Last month Slumdog Millionaire missed the repeated viewing award by one spot. Thankfully for Slumdog I didn't view any of my all time favorites this month. I don't feel like saying more than I already have about this film. I love it dearly.
Runners-up: Burn After Reading, The Silence of the Lambs, Repo! The Genetic Opera.

Worst Film (Any Viewing): Friday the 13th
Fuck remakes.
Runners-up: Legend.

Most Surprising Film: Frozen River
I gotta say, I didn't see this one coming. I knew Melissa Leo had gotten the nomination for best actress and I still thought nothing of it. Thanks to her incredible performance the film was as gripping as any this Oscar season. It's a shame the film was and still is so little seen and talked about. It deserves better.
Runners-up: District B13, Role Models.

Most Underrated Film: Cecil B. Demented
Going with the ode to underground cinema by John Waters. It's a cult favorite of mine with terrific performances by Michael Shannon, Stephen Dorff, Adrian Grenier and so on. It's a funny little film that entertains to the maximum degree.
Runners-up: Frozen River, District B13, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three.

Another month, another set of films down. What will March bring? Check back in a few weeks to find out!

No comments: